Sunday, September 18, 2016

"I was RUNNING".


2nd week of school went really well, and was rather uneventful. I started work again, our team of stylists has grown a lot. This industry always has people coming in and out so frequently, it keeps things exciting.
I went to my first home game against Prairie View A&M. They are just an hour or so outside of town. Small school with a biiiiig personality. Their band was hysterical. They were pretty small compared to our band, but they were so loud! Every time our band started playing they would start playing trying to compete. It was very entertaining. 
Our seats were probably the best I've ever had. 2nd deck, 8 rows back, 35 yard line. Not too shabby. The student section is a ton of fun if you don't mind the noise and having to stand theeeeee entirrrrrrre tiiiiiiime. But we beat 'em big time. 67-0. Poor guys. 
I did a little crafting last week. I just was not satisfied with the way my walls were arranged, so I made these cute hanging wall shelves that I saw on Pinterest.
This week was much more interesting.

Monday and Tuesday flew by without any unusual incidences. I went to FHE and of my own free will decided to join the new "advanced FHE group". They don't have specific characteristics outlining what "advanced" means, but as a Senior in college and 23 years old I feel that I qualify. Most other group members were grad students or professionals. Perfect.

Tuesdays are my long days. I have class at 8 a.m., another class at 11 and work from 3-9.

Wednesday I had one job: get football tickets for the Arkansas game. I was planning on using a friend's sports pass which was in someone else's hands at the time. We coordinated how we would exchange the sports pass and of course he forgot all about it, so I spent a good amount of time tracking him down and eventually got the sports pass. Then I went to the stadium and had a lovely time trying to find the ticket office. Then my brakes suddenly broke. I completely ditched trying to find the ticket office outside the stadium at that point.

I drove the car about 5 mph with hazards on just a quarter of a mile down the road to the institute and parked it. Called Dad. Then called the car repair place. Then called the insurance. Then waited for 2 hours for the tow truck. Luckily I was already at the institute, so I went to New Testament class and had choir practice afterward. 2 hours later, still no tow man so I got a ride home with a friend.

I laid in bed on Wednesday night running through my schedule for the following day.
Class at 8 a.m.
Homework in between class from 9-11. Call car repair place, tell them why my car never showed up last night.
11 a.m. class.
Walk to the institute, get there by 1 pm. Call insurance.
Wait for tow truck from 1-2:30.
Walk back to campus at 2:30, take bus to work.

I had it all mapped out perfectly. I woke up at 6 a.m., took Rusty for a quick walk around the block and then took a shower and got dressed for work. I clearly remember looking between my bag full of shears and clippers and hair stuff, and my backpack, already stuffed with folders and a laptop. I wanted to cram everything in one, but I didn't think I had the space. Oh well, bring the backpack AND the hair bag. Off to the bus I go!

On bus 35, I listened to music, thinking over my schedule again for the day. I got dropped off on west campus and walked across the street to another bus stop to wait for bus 05 to take me to west-west campus (it's a big campus). Then I realized that I left my bag with $350 worth of hair cutting supplies on the previous bus. Knowing that bus 35 was going to stop on main campus and wait for 5 minutes before pressing on, I literally started running for main campus. RUNNING. With a full backpack and sandals in my nice work clothes. I ran under the tunnel that connects west and main campus, and on the other side, just 100 yards or so away from me is the bus. It's still waiting there, so I keep running, praying that it won't move. I'm almost there when the door closes and it starts driving away. That's when I realize....it's on a loop. Eventually, the dang bus will be in the exact same spot that it just dropped me off at. WHY DIDN'T YOU JUST WAIT THERE FOR IT?
So I start running again. Down the hill, under the tunnel, up the hill, across the parking lot, across two streets, and I get to the bus stop right as 35 stops and opens the door. My bag is still there on the seat.


By this time, I am a sweaty mess. My hair was nicely done for work this morning, but it's still 94 degrees with 80% humidity down here. At this point, I'm late for class and there is no way I'm going to class or work like this. I won't let anyone sit down in my chair with their nose in my armpit for 14 minutes while I cut their hair.
So I walked to the institute, called the insurance, they arranged for a different tow company to come get my car. The tow truck was there in 20 minutes. I'm still sweaty and exhausted, so I just walk back to campus, get on a bus and go home.
It actually turned out to be a very productive morning. I got all the home work done that I needed to and got cleaned up again for work. I tried out Uber for the first time, which was a success. I was busy at work and made good tips, and the next day my car was all better.

I'm not sure if there was a particular reason why everything seemed to be going wrong for me on Wednesday and Thursday, but just in case there was, I finally called the stake secretary and set up my interview with the Stake Pres. to renew my temple recommend. It expired last month and my Bishop gave me a lecture last week about how I shouldn't ever be in a situation where I didn't have access to the temple. I totally agree. But I justified my reasons for letting it expire by telling myself that I was gone all summer and couldn't get it renewed, and the Houston temple was closed for cleaning anyway, so what does it matter if my recommend is expired? The temple being closed is why it took me several days after my initial interview with the bishop to finish the process and set something up with the stake. I just didn't feel the need to rush.
Anyway, I have my interview tomorrow. Things did finally calm down after I got that all finalized.

On Friday I went to a friend's Aggie Ring ceremony. I was hoping to get mine this fall, but the hours from my internship don't kick in until next semester (urrrgh). So I'll get it sometime in February instead.

Yesterday I cleaned the apartment. Every Saturday is deep clean day. I vacuum floors and furniture, sweep and mop the kitchen, dust everything and wipe the baseboards. Then I spent the next 6 hours doing homework. I have never spent so much time doing homework on a Saturday. 16 credits is kicking my butt.

My reward for finishing homework was watching the A&M game. We beat Auburn (WHOOP!).

No comments: